What an incredible first quarter of 2018! In only 3 months, we have kicked off the year with great passion and commitment. I am grateful for where we have been and where we are headed. Below are a few important updates from the missions world:
- Gospel Conversations:You don’t have to go “across the pond” to live sent! In 2018, we want to celebrate 2,150 gospel conversations! What that means is every person at Shandon sharing the gospel with someone who has not called Jesus their Savior. On May 1, we will post the number of gospel conversations so far this year. In order to do that, we want to know! Please text the word GOSPEL to 21000 to let us know of your first gospel conversation. After that, let us know the total number of times you have shared the gospel this year.
- 3 Circles Evangelism Training:In May, a few of us on staff will be hosting large numbers of Sunday School classes in the gym for a fun and interactive experience in having a gospel conversation. The dates will be coming soon, but you won’t want to miss out on this unique training!
- Pray – Bless – Go: Eighteen Sunday School Classes have chosen a missions partner to engage! I am thrilled to see this progress and excited to help connect the dots for the rest of our classes. If you would like to set up a phone call or meeting with me for early May, please contact
to set something up! Ideally, we will have most classes connected to partners by the end of May.
- Mother’s Day Store at Meadowfield Elementary We’re recruiting volunteers and collecting gifts for Shandon’s annual Mother’s Day Store at Meadowfield Elementary! Please bring your gift items on collection Sundays, today through April 22. We also need volunteers at Meadowfield Mon-Wed, April 30-May 2 (the store operates May 1-2, 9am-1:30pm). To volunteer, email
or call 782-1300 x.165.
- Compassion Sponsorships Still Available!If you missed Compassion Sunday last month, there’s still time to sponsor a child from Colombia, South America as part of ourColumbia to Colombia partnership. Look for sponsor packets in the GO ministry station in the Gathering Place this Sunday and next.
- Pray for our Puerto Rico Team:On Saturday of this week, another team will head to our partner church in Ponce, Puerto Rico. Roy Hess and his awesome team will be moving us one trip closer to completing the church renovation for hosting teams. What a joy it has been to work alongside a loving, missional church. Pray that we lay a foundation for the gospel to go forth, for churches to be planted, and for homes to be put back together!
- Pray for our Uganda Team:On Monday I will go with John Covert and John Barnes to Uganda. This is an incredible opportunity to deepen our partnership with Empower One, planting churches. Our 2018 partnership with E1 joins Shandon with courageous pastors to plant 60 churches among unreached peoples. In Chad, we are sponsoring a seminary extension that will send 30 church planters, former Muslims, who will take the gospel to Chad, Darfour, and Sudan. In Uganda, we are sponsoring another seminary extension that will plant an additional 30 churches in Yumbe, the city in Uganda with the highest per capita Muslim population. Pray for this partnership and for emerging leaders in our congregation.
- Pray for our South Asia Team: On Friday, Rob and John go to South Asia (we have to limit details on this one). Shandon will be working with the IMB to do evangelism, discipleship, and church planting among persecuted believers. God has been moving powerfully! Although this is a new trip, I am excited to see this one unfold!
- Family Mission Trip Interest Meeting this Sunday: This summer (June 18-23), families and individuals will be able to serve together in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, packing boxes for Global Aid Network (GAiN), the humanitarian arm of CRU. If you’re considering this trip, please join Team Leader Greg Abrams for an interest meeting today from 11:50-12:10 in Room C107.
- Mission Trips Interest:If you are interested in these or ANY mission trips at Shandon, please email to find out more!