Blog post by Julie Schmidt
Young Life Lunch & Learn
This Sunday, August 26
B112 immediately following the 10:30am service
Downtown Young Life is a ministry of friendship evangelism to bring students to saving faith in Christ, disciple them, and help them find a vibrant church family. Downtown YL is under the direction of Rick Palmer and serves Eau Claire, CA Johnson, Keenan, and Columbia High. We already have staff and college student volunteers trained and working weekly, one on one, with teens from these schools — mentoring, preaching the Gospel, doing Bible studies and going to camp.
To learn how you can support this important ministry, please plan to attend our Young Life Lunch & Learn this Sunday, August 26 in Room B112, immediately following the 10:30am service. We need your help as a Friend of YL to support our staff and volunteer leaders behind the scenes in these areas: Prayer, Hospitality, Volunteer Thanks, and Hands-On Fundraisers.
1. Prayer: Receive our monthly prayer bulletin and commit to faithfully go before the Lord on our behalf. Participate in specific prayer gatherings 1-2 times a year.
2. Hospitality and Volunteer Leader Care
- Host a team of 5-8 leaders in your home weekly by providing them snacks or dinner and a room to meet in as they plan their weekly club and pray, and/or provide the same for leaders who bring high school kids to your home for weekly Bible study.
- Host 25 leaders once a month on a Friday night for dinner in your home as they have training and fellowship. A Sunday school class could commit to do this and then rotate between several houses for the 8-9 months.
- Adopt a team of volunteer leaders from a high school and send them notes, birthday cards, put together end of semester study baskets with snacks, or bless them with gas cards, movie tickets, Chick-Fil-A gift cards, etc.
- Provide and/or host a welcome back ice cream social or pool party for 25 college aged volunteers and staff in August.
- Host/help provide decorations and food for annual Thanksgiving dinner the week before Thanksgiving for leaders and a few of their high school friends.
- Host/help provide food for a year-end cookout for 25-50 at the beginning of May.
3. Occasional 1-2 day help with fundraisers for camp scholarships such as:
- NOVEMBER | Christmas Wreath Sales: Help organize, promote, sell, and distribute wreaths.
- MARCH | BBQ Plate Sales: Help organize, promote, sell, plate, and deliver to-go lunch meals on a Friday in March.
- SPRING | OneRun Columbia 5K and 10K Fundraiser: Volunteer to help on race day.
- FALL | Annual Banquet: Our annual dinner and fundraising event, where we aim to cast our vision to friends and donors and raise the majority of our operating budget. You can help with decoration and set up, tear down afterwards, or host a table by inviting friends to come hear about the ministry.
- TDS (Taking Donors Seriously): Do you love spreadsheets and analysis? We aim to find and engage new donors, retain current donors and maximize giving potential by being organized and intentional. If you’re a data wiz, we could use your help anytime!
4. Committee Member: Commit to join our committee (board) of adults who, together with area director Rick Palmer and staff, meet once a month to pray, encourage one another, get updates, and organize fundraisers and promotion of the ministry. You will serve on a specific subcommittee which oversees all opportunities listed above. This is a 2-year minimum commitment, and lots of fun!